Monday, 17 August 2026

Managal Campaign, Summary

Summary.

I enjoyed this mini-campaign and playing in a world normally only my players got to see. I learned that massive or repeated combat encounters might be fun to play, but are not fun to write beyond a certain point. I learned “hexploring” is fun up to a point, but then I yearned for the mines dungeon. And then after the dungeon, I yearned for an urban tale / mystery. After that, well, it looked like the cycle would start again - but I’d like to try something else next.


This was also my first attempt at a Scarlet Heroes urban adventure, and I liked it - quite a change to hex/dungeon crawling, which is all my solo gaming has been up to now. There are a few places where I think it would not hold up to serious scrutiny (Mistress Tavie didn’t think to mention Aric [because we didn’t know about him then] Why would Aric target Governess Mae first? [because the dice said so!]) but if I spotted it then I was able to retro-fit a sound reason in my head, even if I didn’t note it here.


When I tried to come up with a mystery that began with the prompt “Smell/Nose Sun/Moon” I initially thought of something to do with cheese (it smells and the moon is made of it) or possibly werewolves (obvious moon tie-in) but rolling for the “plot” via Scarlet Heroes then asking half a dozen logical questions steered me somewhere not quite as tacky or obvious, and I was pleased with the results.


At some point I decided I knew the likely main enemy. For surprise purposes, the later on in the Adventure that these sort of ‘core facts’ are determined, the better for the solo player - but while the “surprise” might be less, I feel that the “integrity” (meaning logic and cohesion of the adventure plot) would be more. We can interpret the determining of “core facts” as the point in a movie where the villain announces his or herself, monologues about their plan, etc. I suppose if one were to play the game then write the session notes this sort of thing might be easier to fix, but that’s not what I was doing here.


Anyway, at some point I will return to Managal, but the heroes can rest for now. And for my next game, space calls!


No comments:

Post a Comment